The Cloud

The Truth About the Cloud

The cloud can do wonders for your business, your personal life, and your education, right? Well, that is what the sales pitch is, but what is the cloud? Is it as whimsical and carefree as it sounds, or it is yet another technology that will come and go with time and take down a few identities and data along with it? Relax. We can help you better understand the cloud, its truth, its benefits, and the concerns that continue to plague its existence.

What is the Cloud?

The cloud may appear invisible to you, but is in fact a larger structure of networks at off-site locations that permit users to store data over the Internet instead of directly on a user’s hard drive. The storage of data remotely permits users to better protect themselves from IT disasters, insulate their personal and business data from security threats, it encourages portability, and it allows multiple authorized users to access shared information via an Internet connection without requiring each person to be in the same location.

What you Need to Know

First, before you decide on a cloud service, you must remember not all cloud services are created equally. It is important to know exactly where your information and data is stored. Is it domestic or international? Do not do business with a company that houses your date internationally. When your information is stored outside of the U.S., your privacy is at the mercy of the governing body of that particular country. However, the U.S. doesn’t exactly have a squeaky-clean record for valuing the privacy of its citizens when it comes to digital security. What you need to know as an informed consumer is how your cloud service controls and responds to requests for your personal or business information.

It is important to note that business clouds and personal clouds are not the same, and they do not provide the same levels of protection for users. Personal cloud services are simple, do not usually require as much maintenance and security, and they are rarely accompanied by a dedicated support team. Business cloud services, when supported by a trained team of experts, provide businesses and users with support, servicing, capacity and dedication simply not offered by personal cloud solutions. A professional managed services team assists business owners with developing an effective cloud strategy that accommodates the needs of the business, it provides businesses with 24/7 support and system monitoring, it responds immediately to failures, and performs updates to the cloud to ensure data protection.

Choosing a cloud provider is not an easy decision. Your company and its reputation are on the line, so the decision must be an informed one. Do your research and read the contract thoroughly. One you do establish a cloud solution, practice smart digital habits to protect yourself and your data. Educate your team, restrict access for some, remove access immediately for departed employees, and be smart when choosing a password.

Boston Red Sox

How Technology Boosts the Boston Red Sox’s Game

As technology continues to evolve and grow, sports teams are taking advantage of this to boost their team’s stats – especially the Boston Red Sox.

Steve Conley, director of IT for the Boston Red Sox, and his IT team provide sports technology tools that allow the baseball players to perform at their highest level, both on and off the field.

According to Conley, the Boston Red Sox IT department’s greatest thing they put together was the video system, which has expanded and evolved over time since it’s creation 10 years ago. The team carries the system with them on the road where they capture every at-bat situation, and after at-bat situation. The players can then review it on a computer directly after and will be able to learn from their mistakes. Not only can they watch themselves at-bat and after batting, but they also have every batter-pitcher breakdown statistic in the Major Leagues since 2004 to look at, so they can look up any pitcher on any count to see if they can get an edge on the competition. Many of the players use that tool extensively, Conley said.

So, what separates the technology of sports from other industry-specific IT jobs? There are certain job tasks that specialize when it comes to sports where you have to handle the needs that are stadium-specific. Although, there is a great amount of overlap when it comes to technology of sports and general IT needs. Conley said about 15% of what the Boston Red Sox IT department does is specific to sports, baseball in particular, and the remaining 85% are the IT needs that you would find regardless of industry.

Technology is changing the way the Boston Red Sox and many other teams play sports and is bettering their game. The video system created by Steve Conley and his IT team is one technology tool that has helped the Red Sox up its game and become an ever better baseball team.